Article Navigation

Back To Main Page


Click Here for more articles

Claiming Sexual Harassment
by: Maui Reyes
If you’ve already approached your employer about the sexual harassment that took place and was not given proper attention, or believe that your company’s policy does not treat your case fairly, then you may consider other options.

You can file a Title IX complaint with the office for Civil Rights. This can be found at the United States Department of education. Title IX covers all students and employees of institutions that are granted federal aid. You don’t need a lawyer to file a complaint. However, when you decide to sue, you will need an attorney to file a Title IX lawsuit.

You can also file a Title VII complaint with the local Equal Employment Opportunity Center office, or with whatever agency in your state or community that handles fair employment practices. Again, you don’t need a lawyer to file a complaint. If investigations render unsatisfactory results, then you can proceed to file a civil lawsuit for damages under Title VII or the agency that handles fair employment practices—to do so, you are often needed to be granted the permission to do so by the EEOC.

If, however, you have been sexually assaulted—such as been pressured to touch another’s genitals, breasts, or been pressured to have any kind of sexual activity—you must report your case to the police. These actions are illegal in every state, and the harasser’s punishment must be processed accordingly by the court.

Sexual harassment is not a light issue. It should be taken very seriously, as it has numerous effects on its victims. The impact of sexual harassment varies from person to person, but the physical, emotional, and psychological stress they go through affects their everyday lives.

About the author:
For additional legal information and inquiries about the article log on to

Circulated by Article Emporium


©2009 - All Rights Reserved